Pure DFC

The Unofficial Dartford FC forum
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: World Cup 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:16 pm 
Elite Club

I agree BB re the substitutions, and also in extra time we were letting them come to the 18 yard box and then whacking the ball out so that they would just come back at us. Again, similar to some games last season at PP. :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:26 am 

So far, everything has gone our way. We've got the "easier" side of the draw, we played against Colombia at a cooler temperature, even the Golden Boot is a possibility with Ronaldo/Messi/Muller etc being knocked out. I can't see one team that's left in it that we should be worried about. The only thing I can see as an obstacle is the fact that we're not very good either.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:49 pm 
Elite Club

Nice to see the back of Neymar and his antics. Good result for Belgium. If we can get past Sweden it would be nice to think we can go the whole way. France V Belgium will be intriguing and a final against either must see us as underdogs. But I am still swaying toward France. :|

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:44 pm 

I agree that we are not the finished article, but we have got a very young squad, so lets not knock em FFS , they are in the semi final of the World cup, when no one really gave em a chance :roll: .The so called "Golden Generation" tried and failed,and most of these players are inexperienced at, or never played tournament football before, but they are quality players, and G.S is gradually moulding them into a very good side. I understand that we are not at the level of Belgium or France,YET!!! , but it will come in time with experience, but at this moment in time , lets just get behind our Country and cheer them on to a possible World Cup Final, and "who knows"? on the day??????????????? :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:36 am 
Elite Club

Sorry cap, but where did you get the idea I was knocking them. The England team can be under dogs with me all day as long as we keep winning. Long may it continue. For the first time though I though Maguire played well. But Jesse Lingard and Trippier have been outstanding throughout.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:44 am 
Elite Club

Don't know what to think of the Croatians as Arthur will no doubt tell us, being born as early as he was.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 pm 
Elite Club

Just back from Pub having watched our exit , Croatia best team on the night although nothing special , England exceeded my expectations by getting to the semi's and lots of positives , we need to get natural goalscorers , forget about the " tippy tappy side /back passing and be positive going forward .NOT blaming Sterling but he doesnt score goals at International level and Walker is a full back NOT a dominating [ in the air ] centre back , time to be ruthless Gareth !!!

Overall Gareth Southgate has done a great job in a short period and the future looks bright !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 am 

Oh well, I suppose that's our one chance every 50 years gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 am 
Elite Club

At one point it reminded me of our performance against Havant & W last season at PP. Except that we won that game. England have excelled in Russia, but we just seemed to lose our thread in the 2nd half. Kane dropped deep and to bring on Rashford for Sterling didn't improve our game at all.
Croatia were very good only because we allowed them to be. Should have wrapped it up before half time. But there you go. One would like to think we have a good starting position for the Euro's and the next World Cup, but we didn't exactly meet anyone at these games that really tested us.
I hope that Croatia make it interesting on Sunday but feel that France will have too much in the tank for them. as for Saturday, if both teams are really interested in 3rd place it could be a good game. I always find this match the World could do without.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:34 pm 
Elite Club

Yeah, pretty gutted. Will probably be a long time before we have as good an opportunity as that. Enjoyable tournament though and plenty of positives. Having one shot on target (from a set piece) in over two hours of football was not one of those, however.